Case 7 describes a patient’s experience with colon cancer that leads to surgical treatment.
Learners reviewing this case can consider how colon cancer develops, treatment options, and interventions. The interprofessional collaboration occurs in the operating room and on the ward between the physician, nurses, and social worker.
In this case, learners have an opportunity to:
- Review etiological factors (i.e., risk factors, prevalence, comorbidities) associated with colon cancer
- Build knowledge related to the patient’s experience of colon cancer
- Continue to develop comprehensive assessment, and monitoring skills and abilities (e.g., gastrointestinal assessment, diagnostic studies, laboratory data)
- Consider the links between evidence-based knowledge and practice in the care of patients with colon cancer (e.g., colon cancer treatment guidelines)
- Recommend interventions based on the risk factors, status, and progression of colon cancer
- Define the roles of healthcare professionals and the contributions they make to the healthcare team (or describe your own role and the roles of those in other professions)