By Lisa Jellum
- Discuss how to manage weight through diet
- Provide steps for starting a weight loss plan
- Reinforce the importance of physical activity in weight management
- Explain how to keep the weight off
The majority of Americans are unhappy with their current weight. Almost everyone would like to lose at least 5 pounds. A growing percentage of Americans are carrying enough excess weight to put them at risk for many diseases and even death. Few people, however, know enough about their own bodies to successfully manage their weight. Anyone planning to start a weight loss program should begin by carefully considering the following factors:
- How many calories are being consumed daily?
- How many calories are being expended?
- How much fluids are being consumed?
- How well are electrolytes being managed?