After completing this unit, you should be able to:
- Identify the sequential steps of the scientific method, and understand the importance of reporting research results in peer-reviewed journals.
- Describe the different types of research studies used in nutrition, including the quality of evidence, advantages, and limitations of each.
- Be aware of some of the limitations of nutrition research, including the challenges of studying complex dietary patterns and the influence of industry funding.
- Understand differences between scholarly (peer-reviewed) and popular sources for nutrition information.
- Evaluate sources of nutrition information and distinguish between credible sources and junk science.
- Identify the qualifications of nutrition professionals and career opportunities in the field of nutrition.