1. Circle the correct answer.
- a) When red blood cells are placed in an isotonic solution they:stay the same
- b) Red blood cells are isotonic to: 0.9% salt solution
- c) Red blood cells placed in a 2.0% salts solution would: shrink.
- d) Red blood cells placed in distilled water would: swell
- e) When red blood cells are placed in distilled water: the water enters the cells
- f) Red blood cells placed in a 0.9% salt solution would: stay the same
- g) Red blood cells placed in distilled water are in a: hypotonic solution.
- h) Red blood cells placed in 0.9% salt solution are in an:isotonic solution
- i) Red blood cells placed in a 2.0% salt solution are in a:hypertonic solution.
- j) A dialysis bag (made of an artificial semi-permeable membrane) filled with 0.5% salt solution and placed in a beaker containing 3.0% salt solution will: shrink.
2. Three bottles are filled with three different solutions. One with distilled water, one with 0.9% salt solution and the third with 9.0% salt solution. A few dried apricots are placed in the three bottles and left in the solutions for an hour.
- The apricots in bottle A stay the same.
- The apricots in bottle B shrink
- The apricots in bottle C swell.
Now answer the following questions:
- i) Which bottle contains the most concentrated salt solution? B
- ii) Which bottle contains water? C
- iii) Which bottle contains the isotonic salt solution? A
- iv) Which bottle contains the hypotonic solution? C
- v) Which bottle contains the hypertonic salt solution? B
3.A semi - permeable membrane (dialysis) bag, containing 4% salt, 4% glucose and 4% albumin is suspended in distilled water. Assume the bag is permeable to all substances except albumin.
- a) The salt: moves out of the bag
- b) The water: moves into the bag
- c) The albumin: does not move
- d) The glucose: moves out of the bag
- e) The salt moves by: diffusion
- f) The water moves by: osmosis
- g) The albumin moves by: it does not move because the molecules are too large.
- h) The glucose moves by: diffusion