After completing this unit, you should be able to:
- Identify the four essential elements of physical fitness and describe each element.
- Describe the key guidelines for physical activity for adults.
- Identify the specific physical, mental, and emotional benefits of physical activity.
- Explain the FITT principle and what the acronym stands for.
- Identify the energy systems that provide the body with fuel for physical activity.
- Describe how duration and intensity impact the types of fuel used for physical activity.
- Understand how nutrient needs differ for athletes, including energy needs, macronutrient needs and micronutrient needs
- Describe how hydration status impacts exercise performance
- Identify the purpose of sports drinks and their role in combating hyponatremia
Thumbnail: Photographic reflections of Australian swimmer Daniel Bell in action during Day 03 of the 2000 Sydney Paralympic Games. (CC BY-SA 3.0; Australian Paralympic Committee/Australian Sports Commission).