Skip to main content
1: An Introduction to the Athlete's Nutrient & Diet Basics
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- 1.1: Introduction
- There are three types of physical activity. In this book, we will focus on nutrition for exercise and sports.
- 1.2: Introduction to Nutrition and Physical Fitness
- Physical fitness is a general state of health and well-being and, more specifically, the ability to perform aspects of sports, occupations and daily activities. Physical fitness is generally achieved through proper nutrition, moderate-vigorous physical exercise, physical activity, and sufficient rest. Before the industrial revolution, fitness was defined as the capacity to carry out the day’s activities without undue fatigue.
- 1.4: Defining Nutrition, Health, and Disease
- Health is defined as “a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” World Health Organization. Disease is defined as any abnormal condition that affects the health of an organism, and is characterized by specific signs and symptoms. Disease affects all three aspects of the health triangle. Good nutrition provides a mechanism to promote health and prevent disease.
- 1.3: Basic Physiology of Exercise
- Before we explore nutrition, let's refresh your knowledge of exercise physiology. Here is a short video that will do that.
- 1.5: The Broad Role of Nutritional Science
- 1.6: A Healthy Philosophy toward Food
- 1.7: What Are Nutrients?