In Chapter 8, nutrients important as antioxidants are explored, starting with an explanation of what oxidation and antioxidants are, then looking at vitamins E, C, and A, selenium, and phytochemicals.
- 8.1: Chapter Introduction
- History tells us the importance of foods that contain antioxidants and phytochemicals.
- 8.2: Generation of Free Radicals in the Body
- Oxygen is critical for life but also generates free radicals that can be harmful. Our body has developed defenses to keep oxygen's destructive nature in check. In this section, you will be introduced to free radicals.
- 8.3: Antioxidant Micronutrients
- Our diet contains several essential nutrients, both vitamins, and minerals, to help our body defend itself from endogenous and exogenous free radicals. These compounds are antioxidants and they are both water and fat soluble. Plants also contain phytochemicals that have antioxidant properties.
- 8.4: The Whole Nutrient Package versus Disease
- Plants are an important source of antioxidants. Do you eat enough fruits and vegetables?