Then use the Test Yourself below to see how much you remember and understand.
1. What is meant by the phrase “gas exchange”?
2. Where does gas exchange take place?
3. What is the process by which oxygen moves from the alveoli into the blood?
4. Why does this process occur?
5. How does the structure of the alveoli make gas exchange efficient?
6. How is oxygen carried in the blood?
7. List the structures that air passes on its way from the nose to the alveoli:
8. What is the function of the mucus and cilia lining the respiratory passages?
9. How do movements of the ribs and diaphragm bring about inspiration? Circle the correct statement below.
- a) The diaphragm domes up into the thorax and ribs move in and down
- b) The diaphragm flattens and ribs move up and out
- c) The diaphragm domes up into the thorax and the ribs move up and out.
- d) The diaphragm flattens and the ribs move in and down
10. What is the function of the epiglottis?
11. What controls the rate of breathing?