By Scott Flynn
Describe the origins of exercise
Define physical activity and exercise
Discuss principles of adaptation to stress
Provide guidelines for creating a successful fitness program
Identify safety concerns
- 2.2: What are Physical Activity and Exercise?
- Physical activity is defined as any movement carried out by skeletal muscle that requires energy and is focused on building health. Health benefits include improved blood pressure, blood-lipid profile, and heart health.
- 2.3: Principles of Adaptation to Stress
- The human body adapts well when exposed to stress. The term stress, within the context of exercise, is defined as an exertion above the normal, everyday functioning.
- 2.5: Additional Safety Concerns
- As activity rates among Americans increase, specifically outdoor activities, safety concerns also rise. Unfortunately, the physical infrastructure of many American cities does not accommodate active lifestyles.