Case 4 describes a patient’s experience with heart failure (HF) related to a post-pregnancy heart murmur.
Learners reviewing this case can consider how influenza affects chronic disease, how heart failure occurs, and treatment options. The same-sex family offers learning opportunities on what family means and explores the changes in societal norms. Interprofessional practice is role modelled between the healthcare professionals likely to care for a heart failure patient.
In this case, learners have an opportunity to:
- Review etiological factors (i.e., risk factors, prevalence, comorbidities) associated with HF
- Build knowledge related to the patient’s experience of HF
- Continue to develop comprehensive assessment and monitoring skills and abilities (e.g., cardiac assessment, diagnostic studies, laboratory data)
- Consider the links between evidence-based knowledge and practice in the care of patients with HF (e.g., CCS Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Heart Failure)
- Recommend interventions based on the risk factors, status, and progression of cardiac disease
- Define the roles of healthcare professionals and the contributions they make to the healthcare team (or describe your own role and the roles of those in other professions)