Focus: Culture and Caring Impact on Health and Physical Assessments
Instructions: In Part 1 you will respond go to indicated websites, listen to the podcasts then respond to the question indicated below by posting your responses in Discussion board.
Part 1: Culture, Health Disparities and Literacy:
Go online to: THINK CULTURAL HEALTH Think Cultural Health U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Minority Health (Advancing Health Equity at Every Point of Contact) The National CLAS Standards (Culturally and Linguistically Appropriated Services in Health and Health Care
Place your response to the following in this assignment on Blackboard.
- How would you describe CLAS standards to a layman?
- State whether this information is new to you
- How will you incorporate this information into your practice? Include what care settings you work in or plan to work in.
Part 2: In consideration of the information discussed in the podcasts
See links below.
Post your thoughts in Discussion board of how awareness of the issues discussed in the podcasts informs and transforms your nursing practice and connect how it relates to the interview process, development of a health history and physical assessment.
Read Joint Commission Leader in JAMA: Time to Address Racial Bias in Health Care OR go to the individual links below of Dr. Wyatts Personal Testimonial.
Listen to 3 of the 4 podcasts (your choice):
Part 3: Caring and Culture Self-Reflection:
Keep comments general no specific names or personal health issues should be discussed.
- Reflect and briefly state about a time when you observed a healthcare provider acting in an uncaring manner. What specifically did the healthcare provider do? How did that make you feel? What could the provider have done differently to make the patient, client or member feel cared for? Consider the issues noted in the podcasts and in CLAS standards.
Reflect on how you make your patients feel cared for:
- List 2 of your strengths in this area
In what ways could you help patients feel cared for?
- List 2 of your weaknesses in this area
- In what ways you may unintentionally make a patient feel less cared for?