After completing this unit, you should be able to:
- Describe how nutrient and energy requirements change during pregnancy and lactation.
- Provide recommendations for eating and lifestyle habits that can alleviate common pregnancy symptoms to support the health of both the mother and baby.
- Outline feeding recommendations for infants, including the benefits and challenges of breastfeeding, the importance of feeding responsively, and the introduction of solid foods.
- Describe nutritional considerations for feeding toddlers.
- Define the division of responsibility and eating competence; describe how these models encourage life-long healthy eating.
- Name feeding practices that can encourage picky eating and what to do instead.
- Describe how energy and nutrient requirements change in adolescence.
- Identify specific nutrition concerns for adolescence, as well as strategies for addressing those concerns.
- Describe how nutrient and energy requirements change in older adulthood.
- Identify specific nutrition concerns for elderly people, as well as strategies for addressing those nutrition concerns.