Lesson 5 "Our health is not just a fad."
In Lesson 5, we are going to address the fact that we have to take a long-term view of our health. You cannot wake up tomorrow, make a bunch of drastic changes, and expect it to last. Our health is going to be a long journey--and one without set destination. Our health is composed of the daily struggle to eat a little better, work on our mental, social, and spiritual selves, and to incorporate some ways to move our body. We cannot achieve good health with fads.
Lesson 5 student learning outcomes
By the end of this lesson, you will be able to…
- 1…identify the factors that comprise a “healthy weight” and how weight status influences physical health.
- 2…identify the determinants of health that contribute to increased risk of obesity and/or chronic disease.
- 3...describe the role of food relationships, mindful eating, the non-diet approach, and body positivity in achieving long term health, wellness, and good nutritional status.
- 4…describe the importance of small, gradual changes in diet and lifestyle for overall health maintenance.
- 5...describe how the timing and composition of meals and beverages before, during, and after exercise influence physical performance.
- 6...explain the fundamentals of physical fitness and how physical fitness influences health.
- 7...explain the harmful effects of fad diets, dieting, and unrealistic expectations of body weight, body composition, and beauty on mental health and wellness.
- 8...identify the risk factors, signs, and symptoms associated with disordered eating and eating disorders.
- 9...describe how eating disorders and disordered eating are prevented, approached, and treated.