Skip to main content
- Last updated
- 13:02, 29 Jul 2016
Save as PDF
It’s Your Turn
- Provide examples of three foods that are rich in unsaturated fats.
- Assume you are reluctant to eat fish. Name three other sources of omega-3 fats.
- Your friend tends to feel cold a lot of the time, is often tired, and has developed sores on her skin. Based on the content in this chapter, identify a nutritional reason for this condition.
- Explain the role of lipids in your overall health.
- Make a chart of the three main types of lipids, their specific functions in the body, and where they are found.
- Diagram the steps in lipid digestion and absorption.
- Create a blood lipid profile with healthy ranges.
Expand Your Knowledge
- You’re making a concerted effort to begin eating more foods that will promote good health. Turn your attention to omega-3 fatty acids. What will you incorporate into your diet?
- Obesity rates in the United States have more than tripled since 1980. At the same time, “low fat” advertising is all over the news. How would you explain this?
- Review and analyze the Cholesterol Risk Chart on the following site: http://heartriskonline.com/CholesterolChart.htm. Check with three members of your family or close friends. Where do they “fit” into this chart?