It's Your Turn
- Discuss the following social programs: SNAP, Meals on Wheels, Congregate dining. Why were these programs established and what specific populations are they geared towards?
- What is a fad diet? Discuss 3 different fad diets. What specific foods are encouraged? What foods are avoided? Does research supports this diet's efficacy long-term?
1. Find out how your diet measures up. Take the New York Times "How Does Your Diet Contribute to Climate Change?" quiz.
2. Calculate your risk for the most common chronic diseases using the "Your Disease Risk" tool. What did you learn about your risk? What might you change to lower your risk?
Expand Your Knowledge
1. Read about how to prevent food waste on the World Wildlife Federation website and take the "Food Waste Quiz".
2. Read more about Food Insecurity at the Feeding America website.