By Jonathan Howard
- Describe muscular structure and function
- Identify types of muscles
- Describe an effective resistance exercise program
- Assess your muscular strength and endurance
- Understand the dangers of supplements
Muscles are used for movement in the body. The largest portion of energy expenditure in the body happens in muscles while helping us perform daily activities with ease and improving our wellness. Muscular strength is the amount of force that a muscle can produce one time at a maximal effort, and muscular endurance is the ability to repeat a movement over an extended period of time. Resistance training is the method of developing muscular strength and muscular endurance, which in turns improves wellness. This chapter explores many ways to resistance train. However, achieving the best muscular performance requires the assistance of a trained professional.